Monday, June 14, 2010

10 weeks to go... (70 days)

Well, the rampage continues.

NR called yesterday from Montreal to inform me that she went to the gym twice yesterday.  While I was definitely excited for her- it also lit yet another fire under my ass.  I really don't want her to win this little bet we have going.  Well, it's not that I don't want her to win, I want to do as well as she does- let me say it that way.  Knowing she's in full on rampage mode is sending me into an oblivion.

I have been wracking my brain for two days regarding last week's gain.  I know I said I would leave it in the past and I will- but I do think that it's important to know where you went wrong so you can avoid doing it again in the future.  Last night I sat up and researched all of the vitamins and supplements I've been taking lately.  Turns out, three of them are supplements to be 'used with caution' or avoided if you have thyroid problems. :)  I haven't always been taking these supplements- lately I've been adding in more and more supplements because they've really been helping my skin.  But they may be causing weight gain...I'm not quite sure yet.  It just didn't make sense to me that I worked out almost every day and watched what I ate and gained almost 2 pounds.  2 pounds?  I know I wasn't great on my food choices, but I wasn't horrible either.  I didn't have any binges and I did have a lot of good, healthy foods last week.  I watched my sugar intake; I watched my breads.  So what gives?  I think it's the supplements.  So now I've got some decisions to make.  Great skin?  Or skinny...

Starting this week, I'm going to take the supplements every other day, or every third day to see what kind of difference it makes.  Hopefully this resolves the issues I'm having.  Of course I am going to continue to work out HARD and I'm fully tracking every bite.  I read someone's blog yesterday about eating meat, and it immediately sent me back to my vegan/vegetarian days...and I'm considering taking a break from meat again for a little while.  I just have a few theories about meat, and while I love it, I just don't know that I need as much of it as I eat.  It seems we all eat it as a main dish- and should it really be the main staple in our diets?  I'm not sure that for me it should be a main ingredient of my diet.  I think fruits/veggies, and whole foods are a better choice.  I really love my body and want to treat it healthfully and with respect- I've learned over the years as a massage therapist that if you take care of it now- it will pay off later. :)

Stay the course my friends!

D

7 comments:

  1. Remember that when you build muscle it weighs more then fat. My personal trainer told me that you should not agonize about the scale for the 1st few weeks after starting a new exercise program. Just something to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Looking over a situation to determine what went wrong so you can fix it is definitely necessary and very different from ruminating over it and drowning in guilt and self-loathing. Very different! Good job with that.

    Re: the skin supplement. Hmmmmm. I had been taking a "Hair, Skin and Nails" supplement because I've been losing a lot of hair and, of course, there's my rash. I ran out about six weeks ago--which is about when I noticed movement on the scale. Hmmmm. Could be a coincidence, of course.

    Speaking of thyroid, I had needle biopsies done on my thyroid nodules. (5 nodules on the left, 1 on the right) The doctor is not concerned about the ones on the left--I've had them for at least 15 years w/ little change.

    The one on the right, however, just came up last year--and is now larger than the mass I have on the left. It doesn't look good.

    The bipsy results should be here in a week or so. I'll let you know.

    Good job on the rampage, fierce girl!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diz, i love that you and NR have this bet going because i know that kind of thing is a SUPER motivator! i hope she does well, but i'm rooting for YOU! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just have to be intake detectives at all times, darn it! If you're seriously thinking of taking a break from meat, it would seem like summer would be the easiest time, although it's always summer in CA, so maybe it wouldn't matter. You will figure it out.

    You have made me like NR, but I don't want her to win over you. No, I don't want that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Dizzy you know I feel about the whole meat debate. I first knew there was a problem for me when every day my thought was "what meat do I take out to thaw for supper?". I at least agree it should not be the main focus of a meal, so I tried to change my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that the NR is pusshing you. And yes I have heard of suppliments making other people gain weight. Check into if there is an alternative with less carbs, sugar and side effects. Wish you the best lovey! Your amazing and I am soooo excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "used with caution' or avoided if you have thyroid problems" If you have thyroid problems (I'm assuming yes since you posted that) then you really should talk to the doctor about if there is a warning on the bottle.... I don't know what your currently taking but Biotin is great for hair, nails and has made me skin better and the wiki page doesn't say anything about thyroid problems. :)

    ReplyDelete