Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Day of Thanks

I had a great day today!

I got up this morning around 9 and watched the Biggest Loser in my pj's. Talk about getting me motivated! It was the perfect way to start my day- I should watch Biggest Loser every morning. Wasn't it motivating to see where everyone is these days? I'll tell you what was especially poignant to me- Bob was talking about the struggle of keeping the weight off and he said something like, this is what I do, of course I'm not going to judge anyone. It's a struggle, everyday it's a struggle. (or something to that effect). It really hit me hard. You DO have to watch every meal, every day or the weight will creep back on. You have to watch it EVERYDAY. I don't think that realization has ever hit me as hard before. I can think of so many times in the past where I've thought to myself- If I can just get down to where I want to be, maintenance is not nearly as hard and I'll be ok. I'm better at maintaining, not losing. But I can't think this way! I can't "just get to where I want to be" and then have a free for all, or think because I got down I suddenly can ease up; I need to remember that I will always have to be mindful, and always have to work at this. The battle will never cease being uphill. I don't know if the battle ever gets easier...or if you just get used to it.

Anyway, after the show, Marty and I met up for a bike ride. We had limited time, so we booked it down to the Wedge and back. Not bad; a quick 2o mile bike ride. We really had to book it to make it back home in time to make the mash potatoes for Thanksgiving, but secretly I was glad because I knew it would make me work hard. My legs were so exhausted when it was over! For one thing, half way through the ride, Marty and I got separated (again). I spent the rest of the ride (10 miles) trying to catch back up to him. The wind was blowing hard against us on our way back, plus it's an uphill trek (not serious uphill, one of those slow and painful ones. BRUTAL!). Plus, we were trying to hurry. It was one of the most intense workouts I've had in awhile. I was so happy when it was over! I felt so awesome!

After the ride I went home, and had a short 30 minutes to take a shower, change, and then get back over to Marty's so we could leave for dinner. (I went with him to his family's house.) The bad news is, I was starving when we got over there. The good news is, I only had one plate of food, and I didn't load the plate up- I was very sensible. It was perfect! I didn't overeat at all. I also remembered from my recent WW meeting that stuffing was 4 points, so I loaded up on veggies and didn't have any stuffing. I had mashed potatoes, but limited gravy, and white meat from the turkey. I DID have a roll and a half...but no butter, just jam. :) We also waited like, 3 hours to have dessert so there was no super stuffed feeling; and I only had one piece of pumpkin pie.

I came home thrilled, but as the night has progressed, I've been steadily snacking. In fact, I just had to pop a piece of gum in my mouth to help me stop. I was hungry by the time we got home so I tried to just have some eggs for dinner and just relax. But every time someone calls (first my dad, then my mom, then my sister, then Marty), I find myself back in the trail mix bag (a bag I bought from Target last week that I've regretted buying because I've been digging in it nonstop and I can't seem to stop). Marty is on his way over now and just mentioned he'd like to get a pizza while we watch movies. GROAN.

Wish me luck. Hope your Thanksgiving was fabulous!!!



  1. So glad you had a great day! ::HUGS::

  2. I hope your day ended well, little fierce girl! I survived it, but my food plan did not. chuckle. Has been worse in previous years, tho--so progress is something! Onward and Forward down that Highway to Thin. :D

  3. That's right Deb, every day is a new day, and every day we have to recommit to our weight loss regime. Good luck!