Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New foods!

Today I have a few things I want to say...as usual. I will TRY my best not to make it a freaking long post. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

First I want to mention that I tried two new recipes today! Yay!!! One is Taco Bean Soup...a recipe I got from Weight Watchers. It's super easy and suuuuuuper tasty, and pretty low in points! Score on all three! Ok, here's the recipe and the directions in case you want to try it ever:

Taco Bean Soup
Points: 3

Prep time: 3 minutes; Cook time: 17 minutes

1 (15 ounce) can of 98% fat-free turkey chili with beans (such as Hormel)
1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini or yellow squash
1 cup water
1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
1/4 cup sliced green onions

1) Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes.
2) Ladle soup into bowls. Top evenly with cheese and green onions.

YIELD: 4 servings

See? It doesn't get any easier than that!!!!

Well...maybe it does. The second yummy recipe I tried came from my great friend TxMarianne on twitter. She knew I needed something easy and yummy and low in points, so she sent me this fabulous, easy recipe. It's called Pumpkin Fluff. Here it is if you ever want to try it:

Pumpkin Fluff
Points: 1

Prep time: about 5 minutes; Cook time: 0

1 (16 ounce) can of Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 container Fat Free Cool Whip
1 box Sugar Free/Fat Free Vanilla Pudding Mix
Pumpkin Pie Spice

1) Mix first three ingredients in a mixing bowl and whip
2) Add Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste.

YIELD: 3 servings

So I guess it gets even easier than the soup...this one you don't even have to cook! YESSSSS
I do want to warn you though- if you're not used to eating fat free cool whip, you might want to ease yourself into this second one. :) I just started eating it like crazy and it sent me straight to the restroom. But it's so tasty! Just eat like...half a cup the first time or something. :) Anyway, it's low in points and it also counts as a veggie because it's pumpkin! Amazing!

Yeah for healthy low-fat eating!

The other thing I want to mention? Valentine's Day...Just for a brief second. I just have to go on a rant because I'm SINGLE and I saw on someone else's blog a post to single women for the weekend, and I follow a few dating blogs and some of them have addressed the "issue", and I'm here to tell you that it's fine! I'm so sick and tired of people thinking that just because SINGLE people don't have a Valentine, they're somehow depressed and sick about it. Let me tell you something. I am SINGLE and I'm not sad about it! I am a fabulous girl and I don't feel any "less" because there is no man out there trying to declare his love for me on one particular night. I LOVE MY LIFE. Even when Valentine's day comes! It's just another opportunity for me to do something fabulous for myself. :) Some of my friends joke about it, calling it SAD (single's awareness day), but I am just not SAD about it! I love Valentine's day! I love the colors, the chocolate, the hearts. So people, quit feeling the need to either feel sorry for single people, or feeling sorry for yourself (if you're single). If you're single, embrace your single-ness. Seriously- I don't want to get started on this rant because it will go on forever. So- just love yourself and love your life. It could always be worse. If you still want to participate in the day but don't want to just lavish yourself, do something great for a friend or your parents. Or better yet, be a secret cupid. Just don't be a creepy secret cupid.

:)

D

10 comments:

  1. Dude, are you kidding? Who would feel sorry for you?! You're awesome...!

    And I love these recipes. I'm definitely going to try to taco soup asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so also....I make this Faux Fried Chicken all the time. It's easy, and it tastes sooooo good!

    http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=51134

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also really, really tasty and easy. I'm not sure if you have a crockpot though. I use mine sometimes, and this is one of my favorites...
    http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html

    Everything on this girl's blog is amazing so try any of it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Don't be a creepy secret cupid... Hahaha. I don't know why, but that cracks me up!

    Glad your cooking went well! I may try that pumpkin fluff once I'm off the strictes part of my "Get Clean!" mission. Is it a can of pumpkin PIE MIX or a can of PLAIN pumpkin?

    Uh-hmm. I've already done the math. 3 servings at 1 point each means I could eat the whole thing and not mess up my day. :D Just in case I couldn't stop at one serving...

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb! HAHAHA- I ate all 3 servings today- couldn't keep out of it. Not sure if it's plain pumpkin, but I used pumpkin pie mix- strictly out of ignorance if I did it wrong, but it tasted yum, so I'll probably do it again! My stomach is kind of bloated though, from the FF cool whip I think. But still worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. creepy cupid, LOLZ! thank you for all your sweet comments, Diz. and that soup sounds amazing! i love campbell's chunky fiesta chicken soup so much, but it's kinda high in sodium. now i'm seriously thinking of whipping up a pot of taco bean soup! and that pumpkin stuff- don't get me started on pumpkin, because i just can't stop. that stuff is pure gold, and so healthy!
    totally feel you on the fat-free cool whip. i got so used to eating it that i actually prefer it to sweetened whipping cream.
    AMEN to being a happy single girl on valentine's day! what a marketing trap this faux holiday is, anyway!!
    spend valentine's day basking in the glow of your own fabulousness! look at all the progress you've made- you can literally see it!
    and i highly recommend the cookies-and- scissorhands tradition (or whatever tradition you see fit)!! it has gotten me through MANY a "lonely" valentine's day! last year i was dating someone on vday and skipped doing it. when it was all over, i missed not doing it so much that i wished i had been single (but that's another story).
    whatever you do, do it for YOU! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love what you said about Valentine's Day! I'm with ya, sistah! I love Valentine's Day, too, and I'm single and I don't plan to be sad... my house has hearts up and I've sent & rec'd Valentines! Jeez... lol

    Thanks for posting the pumpkin fluff recipe... I'll check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pumkin recipe sounds amazing.. I'm def gonna try it. I must have missed something but I thought you were dating someone.. Marty? Anyway, don't even worry about it, even if you're in a relationship V-Day is waaaaaaayyyy overrated. Me and J are going to see Shutter Island... so romantic. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're too funny! I'm glad you tried some new things & liked them. I will have to try that soup. I have been all about soups lately-I make one once a week!

    I'm not sure who the genius was that came up with the fluff, but I should give credit to my Weight Watcher leader for it. It's how I made it through the holidays without having any pumpkin pie. There is no need to make one ever again. I love the fluff that much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) Those recipes sound amazing. I'm about to write them down (though I suck at cooking).
    2) V-day sucks because I have a boyfriend who isn't into holidays. He thinks you shouldn't just do something nice one day a year. I agree, but I also LOVE holidays.

    ReplyDelete